Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ours

Recently I had the opportunity to see one of my favorite bands of all time live for the second time. The band is "Ours". Jimmy Gnecco is the lead singer of this wonderful band, a singer of incredible talent. Jimmy has what is known as a falsetto, a delightfully high singing voice that is often harshly (and falsely) criticized as copying Jeff Buckley. Jimmy openly admits to being a friend and admirer of Buckley's soulful lyrics and haunting sound. I, however, believe that Jimmy and Ours have a distinct and wonderful sound of their own.

Their latest disc, "Dancing To The Death Of An Imaginary Enemy" has been a long time coming, nearly 7 years in the making. Their sound comes alive in what I originally thought to be an over-produced Rick Rubin creation. With further examination, I now believe that it is their finest work, and definately worthy of their already outstanding collection. If you dig the new album, please support this band and go out and purchase "Distorted Lullabies" and "Precious". I will be posting pictures from the show taken with the help of my friend and colleague Will.
Check out some great covers showing the breadth and depth, as well as Jimmy's emense humor and connection with his fans.
Jimmy sings Bohemian Rhapsody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-src_N_cnk&feature=related
Jimmy covering Justin Timberlake's "Cry me a River": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULV52ymdnk

Jimmy's tribute song to the late Jeff Buckley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uui8dAg_fhg

No comments: